Since HEMA practice is still young, only few years ago some producers began to look at it with a decent interest, crafting specific weapons and equipment. Sala d’Arme Achille Marozzo since the beginning, has been trying, crafting and testing many different products in order to have the cost of HEMA practice as low as possible, always keeping safety as priority.
Following you can find the guidelines for the equipment. In case of any doubt, don’t hesitate to contact us.
1) Head – It is mandatory to use a Fencing Mask certified CEN/FIE Level 2/1600N with gorget and a rigid occipital protection (e.g. SPES, PBT). Under no circumstances will be allowed anyone to use homemade protections, metal helms or non-certified masks or lower level certified masks.
2) Torso – It is mandatory to use one of the following:
HEMA Padded Jackets are strongly recommended.
It is allowed to use gambeson and fencing Maestro plastron if completed with rigid protection for elbow and chest.
It is allowed to use anti-riot equipment if completed with rigid protection for elbow.
For women: a breast protector is mandatory.
3) Hands – It is mandatory to use one of the following:
Specific HEMA gloves (e.g. Red Dragon), Hockey gloves.
4) Groin and thighs – For men: rigid groin protector is mandatory
It is strongly recommended the use of HEMA padded trousers or goal keeper (soccer) trousers.
5) Knees and shinbones – It is mandatory to use one of the following:
HEMA Rigid shin guards and knee protectors
Anti-riot shin guards and knee protectors
Mountain Bike / Downhill shin guards and knee protectors
6) Weapons – Since 2013 we adopted, for practice and tournaments, Nylon/Steel Like weapons, developed by Black Fencer on Sala d’Arme Achille Marozzo guidelines.
Those Nylon/Steel Like weapons will be provided by the host of the tournament.
Under no circumstances will Reenactment weapons allowed to be used by anyone.